CAKE! This word has always made me grin silly and these tough times we all deserve some grins. Here is hoping this Mini Orange Almond Cake brings you those.
Today in the every quarantine cooking series we have a treat! A delicious Orange Almond Cake.
As a kid among the first few things that I remember is my mum baking a cake. We used to have this round oven with a lid. You take out the lid which has a glass window, place your cake tin inside, cover and let it bake.
I don’t think it even came with a timer you had to just watch it. And I used to watch, like a hawk! The bubbling of the batter, the rising, the browning and the slight cracking, all the marks of a perfect pound cake.
I started baking along with my mother just so that I could eat the leftover batter from the dish, but fell in love with the whole process. Baking is solace, its happiness, its something you know that will work out when you set your heart.
My go to cakes are the simple ones like a chocolate loaf cake, banana bread or this Mini Orange Almond cake that is lightly spiced with cinnamon. It’s just beautiful, light, spongy, citrusy and the touch of cinnamon is pure bliss. I made this cake because I wanted that ray of hope during these turbulent times and this cake nailed it
COVID LOCKDOWN LOG
Today is Day 12 of being at home, a fairly uneventful day honestly. Being a weekend I guess I helped a bit (or not). The office workload was less and hence running chores was easier and more comfortable.
I even stepped out of the house today. Hey, don’t look at me like that. I had to refill an empty gas cylinder. I have a family to feed you know 😛 And the roads were breathtakingly beautiful. I guess one must be grateful for how this isolation and social distancing is changing the city for good. Letting it heal a bit from all the overload and torture we have done to it.
I guess today is what they call a good day in the day of Social Isolation.
Mini Orange Almond Cake: Day 12 of COVID Isolation
- 45 g All purpose flour
- 25 g Almond flour blitz almonds in mixer if you don't have flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- a pinch Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- 30 g Butter
- 50 g Caster sugar blitz sugar in mixer if you don't have caster sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 35 ml Orange juice
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- Almond flakes for topping the cake a handful
- Preheat oven at 180C. Grease and line a 5 inch round baking tin with parchment paper.
- Zest the orange and then juice it. Revel in the aroma a bit, these are the times for small joys I guess. The times where we literally should stop and smell the roses or well oranges 😉
- Sift all the dry ingredients and keep aside. I like to sift my ingredients more than once. Especially at times like these when we are baking for therapy more than anything really.
- Using an electric hand blender cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add in the egg and beat well. Add the orange zest and mix gently.
- Fold in half of the dry mix followed by half the orange juice. Continue with the rest of the dry mix and the orange juice.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan. Top it with flaked almonds and bake for 12-15 mins. Do a skewer/toothpick test to figure if it is really done. Let it cool before you slice. That is if you can!