Easy to make and delicious these Milk Dates peda can be an excellent addition to your Diwali cooking. The slight twist with the addition of dates works wonder to the traditional peda recipe.
I was doing some search for what items I want to put in my Diwali basket when I chanced upon this Milk Dates peda recipe at RedChillies and it was love at first sight for me… I anyways wanted a milk sweet to be a part of the Diwali basket and decided that this would be it and I am glad I did because it was yummy… the dates gave a nice flavour twist to the milk peda.
Dates have numerous health benefits and honestly, dates are one of the best things to eat when you are craving for something sweet! In fact, I find dates a great option to munch on, through the day. Especially on dates when I am craving for sweet food! Dates are great for digestion and help relieve constipation issues. They are great for the heart and are considered good anti-inflammatory food to have since they are rich in magnesium.
Apparently, they are also known to reduce blood pressure and reduce the chances of stroke. Dates are also supposed to boost brain health. Dates are great for the blood too. Apparently, if we suffer from anemia, eating dates definitely works. It is also an energy booster. When you feel a bit low on energy, instead of sugar, eat a few dates, and they sure will be boost your energy levels.
There are so many different types of dates available especially in the Middle East. Some varieties include Barhi, Dayri, Halawy, Khadrawy, Medjool and Thoory. Out of these, Medjool is very popular because it is super sweet and very rich. I use all kinds of dates, though personally, I prefer the wet ones compared to the dry ones 🙂
Did you check out the recipe of the Date Cake with salted caramel sauce yet?
PS – This is a post from November 2010, which has been updated & republished with new pictures and retested recipe in October 2018.
Milk Dates Peda
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 20 dates pitted
- 20 Tbsps milk powder
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- raisins dates few or for decorating
- Soak the dates in milk for about 5-6 hours. I soaked it overnight (keep in refrigerator else the milk will spoil) If you are in a hurry heat milk and then add the dates, mix until it becomes soft.
- Grind the above mixture to a smooth paste.
- Heat butter in a big microwave safe container. Please choose a big container else while making the mixture can spill out of it.
- Microwave for a minute then add the condensed milk, milk powder, dates paste and mix well.
- Microwave the mxture for about 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes to prevent burning and overflowing of the mixture
- Add the essences and let it cool. Depending on how patient you are and how much time you have,
- Take a small portion, make balls and then flatten it on your palm. This will be easily doable if u have let the mixture cool enough 🙂
- Place a raisin on top of it.
- Still waiting for next instruction, put it in the mouth my dear and enjoy 😀