The Edible Lettuce Cups filled with stir fry vegetables and chicken are easy to assemble, quick to make and Keto friendly to boot! The perfect summer recipe if you ask me.
I LOVE SALADS! and that is a well-known fact. But I also love a great stir fry. So on one particular day when I was craving for both, I decided to put this dish into test and believe me it was just perfect! And the best part- edible lettuce cups which just happens to fits perfectly in the ongoing A to Z series.
And another great thing about these is that they are the best clean your fridge meals. Want to use up all your leftover vegetables from the fridge? Great! Make a stir fry. It is that easy. Chop up the vegetables in different shapes and toss them with some ginger-garlic and soya sauce. There is absolutely no restrictions on the amount of vegetable or even non-vegetarian options like chicken, prawns etc.
Just keep in mind that it should hardly take any time to cook. Here I have garnished it with microgreens and used some sprouts that I had on hand as veg protein and chicken otherwise. Lettuce can be a little delicate to handle but you should be able to get bowls out of it after a few tries.
I serve these with a soya-ginger dipping sauce (which works as a salad dressing too BTW) and am leaving the recipe of veg stir fry, chicken, dipping sauce and instructions on how to assemble these.
If you make this, share a picture with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you have to say about it.
Keto Friendly Lettuce Cups : Chicken & Vegetarian Fillings
For the vegetarian stir fry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 Carrots (skip or use other vegetable if on keto)
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 onion
- 1 broccoli
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp tbsp- soya sauce
- 1 white wine vinegar
- 3 green chilly
- 1 tsp tsp- sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup sprouts
- Salt to taste
For the chicken
- 250 gm boneless chicken thigh
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 head iceburg lettuce
For the soya-chilli dip
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 bird eye chillies deseed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp Sesame seeds
- 1 tsp brown sugar (skip if on keto)
- Prep and chop all the vegetables. Cut the bell peppers in strips, carrots into batons of 3.5cm in length, zucchini into thin circles and then further cut them into halves, separate broccoli into small florets and onions into medium cubes, separating the layers.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add the minced ginger, garlic and chopped up green chilly and fry until slightly golden.
- Add all the vegetables and toss them. Let it cook for about 3-5 mins in high heat. Don't overcook your vegetables.
- Reduce the heat and add soya sauce and white wine vinegar. Toss the vegetables to fully coat the sauce.
- Add sprouts and sesame seeds and turn off the heat. Set aside for cooling.
- For the chicken . variation:
- Take 250g of chicken and cut them into strips and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in a saucepan and fry some garlic in it.
- Add the chicken and let it fry on medium flame until golden brown and cooked.
- Season it with salt and chilli flakes.
- Toss in the vegetables and the sauces and fry until the vegetables are cooked through but still firm. Or cook the vegetables like mentioned above and add sauteed chicken to the them.
- To make the dip - Take about 2 tbsp soya sauce, 1 tsp of white wine vinegar and 2 green chilly, chopped up. Mix it together and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Time for the final assembly - To make the lettuce bowls, chop the whole lettuce about ¼ inch from the core. Then slowly try separating the lettuce leaves to get perfect bowls. Keep in mind that the leaves are a little delicate and can tear easily. Garnish with microgreens before serving.
- The lettuce leaves can also be used as a roti/tortilla and make a veg or chicken wrap by filling the stir fry and rolling it up.
- Serve along with the chilly- soya sauce dip.
Leave a Reply