Jamun or Java Plum is one of my most favourite summer fruit. And this Jamun Cake is what summer dreams are made of. Almond meal, olive oil, cream cheese frosting and topped with Jamun compote make this cake dream come true.
Pretty purple jamuns or Java Plum is one of the best things to happen to summer. And this Jamun cake uses them to make the best summer cake ever.
I have been wanting to bake with Jamun for the past two years. But last year all I did with the jamun I bought was make multiple bottles of Jamun infused Gin.
View this post on Instagram
And this year before I got on to this crazy ride, I decided to bake with this gorgeous fruit. The color of both the compote and the marbling inside the cake is so gorgeous that you will want to keep looking at it. But don’t because it tastes better than it looks. I know it is a little hard to believe that but it really is the truth.
Another reason I love this cake is that it is totally my kind of cake. Simple and old fashioned! Dense and moist base, a no-fuss cream cheese frosting, that one can completely skip if they want. And a simple jammy compote. No fussy layers, no fancy ingredients and absolutely no fondant. So what are you waiting for? Make it soon and share a slice with me 🙂
Java Plum or Jamun Cake : Summer on a platter
For the cake
- 80 gm butter at room temperature
- 70 gm olive oil
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 150 gm - jamun fruit pitted
- 75 gm almond flour
- 150 gm plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the Frosting
- 200 gm icing sugar
- 80 gm cream cheese
- 30 gm fresh cream amul
For the compote
- 200 gm - jamun fruit
- 40 gm caster sugar
- A few mint leaves
- Pre-heat your oven at 180C for about 10 mins. Grease and line an 8-inch of round baking pan. Keep aside
- Using an electric mixer, Whisk butter and oil with sugar until fully incorporated and fluffy. This will take about 3-4 minutes
- Then slowly add in the eggs, one by one, whisking till fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Fold in the dry ingredients. Finally mix in the chopped jamun fruit, keeping in mind not to overmix.
- Bake for about 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside for 10 minutes, unmould and then let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- For making the compote. In a saucepan add the fruit, caster sugar and a few mint leaves and let it cook in a medium flame for about 8-10 minutes till the fruit gets completely cooked. Add a little water in case it gets a little too thick. Set aside for cooling.
- For making the frosting - Whip the icing sugar, cream cheese and cream together until it is smooth and a little thick in consistency. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes before using.
- To assemble the cake, spread the frosting on the cake. Spread some compote on the top. Use a toothpick to spread and make the pretty patterns on top.
- Served topped with a few mint leaves.