Gluten Free Sorghum or Jowar Salad with Mango and Kale. Raw mango, ripe mango, kale, cucumber, and cheese. I love the play of textures and flavors in this one.
While quinoa is really nice, what I love is using local grains in the salad. And various millets are what I turn to often. This Sorghum or Jowar salad is delicious and full of nutrition.
Today’s post has come later than I have been posting the salads, the photos have been ready since last Sunday. But for some reason, I feel listless today. This whole week has been so hard to take. Personally, granny is in the hospital and there are decisions to be made. Hospital duties to be performed, all this along with work and O. The week in news has been the most horrible ever in a long time. I agree, there has been terrible news coming from all sides for a long time but my heart is breaking for both Asifa and Unnao. I think as humans as a species deserve to go extinct, Humanity has been dead for long anyway. There is so much my heart wants to say on this but words aren’t coming out, only tears.
And then professionally, I lost a project which was almost about to start. Meetings that had been on for a month, discussions which had moved to one level higher. I know this isn’t the end of the world, but I guess it is the whole despair I feel. I really do need a stiff drink or two to deal with this week.
Anyways I digress, here is the recipe for this beautiful salad. I am hoping this feeling will go away when I wake up tomorrow (when I truly know nothing is changing) and I will be back with more salads.
Gluten Free Jowar Salad with Mango and Kale
- 1 cup dried sorghum pearls
- 1 cup European cucumber
- 1/2 cup Cherry Tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup raw mango peeled and chopped fine
- 1 cup ripe mango peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup kale roughly chopped
- 100 gm brie/camembert cheese optional, chopped roughly
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chilly flakes
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Soak jowar pearls for 4-5 hours. And then boil in the cooker for one whistle. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Add the salad ingredients apart from cheese to the dressing. Gently mix and transfer to serving bowl or plate
- Add cheese if using just before serving