Grilled or roasted chicken is one of my favourite ways of cooking or eating chicken. And this Ginger Chicken with Green Beans and Cilantro sauce version is a family favorite.
Grilled or roasted chicken is one of my favourite ways of cooking or eating chicken. As it does not require you to be in the kitchen the whole time. Yes, on most days I am a lazy cook and this Ginger Chicken is perfect for that.
Simple marination just like this one here that uses ginger and garlic in good measure and the basic spices. Marinate your chicken and stick it in the freezer, thaw and use whenever you fancy. Yes, another lazy cook tip.
The best way to get colour and that crispy skin is to fry the chicken skin side down on a hot pan, over high flame, undisturbed for at least 5 mins. This makes sure that there is even browning and brings out the flavour.
Next flip the pieces and cook for another 12-15 mins on a low flame. You can pair this up with some blanched and sauteed beans/carrots and mashed potatoes or even a cilantro sauce like I have.
Right there, your classic continental dinner is ready in 30 mins max only this one has some familiar Indian flavours too. Add some chilli paste to the marination, if you like it spicy. No fancy ingredients used here and so you can easily rustle this dish up with just pantry staples, especially when you’re craving a continental style meal.
I have used a whole leg with skin that is cut into two pieces. But having said that, this comes out perfectly even with skinless and boneless chicken. Make sure not to overcook it. 10 mins should do for a chicken breast to be well done and succulent.
Ginger Chicken with Green Beans and Cilantro sauce
- 300 g chicken
- 150 g haricot beans
For the marination
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 3 tsp garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp amchoor
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
For the Cilantro Sauce
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 4 garlic cloves roasted/fried
- 1/2 tsp amchoor powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 green chillies
- 2 tbsp curd
- Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients except for the beans. Preferably marinate it overnight but at least an hour should be good if you are in a hurry, I often am.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and place the chicken, skin side down on high heat and let it brown and crisp up. Do not move it or try to flip it in between.
- Once it has been on high heat for at least 5-8 mins, check the colour and if its deep golden brown, flip the pieces, reduce the flame to low, cover and cook for about 12-15 mins.
- Meanwhile, blanch the green beans in hot water, to partially cook them and then add it to the same pan as the chicken and let it continue to cook and crisp up.
- For the cilantro sauce, grind together the coriander leaves, roasted/fried garlic, ginger, cumin powder, amchoor powder and salt. Grind to a coarse paste. Check for seasoning.
- Transfer to a bowl and add in curd, lime juice and whisk well. Best served cold.
- Once the chicken is cooked, take it out of the pan and let it rest for about 5 mins before you slice/serve it.
- Toss the beans in the pan and serve with the chicken and cilantro sauce. You can also pair it up with some creamy mashed potatoes. Enjoy!