Shortbread cookies which are made special by using the alphabet cookie cutters! If you are having a party, these make an excellent return gift option!
When I was planning my son’s birthday party, I was clear that I wanted to bake something special for the kids to take home. I debated on giving them brownies or muffins, but somehow, I was too convinced on those ideas. I wanted to give them something which was more personal and that is when I thought, why not shortbread cookies with their own name?
I had alphabet cookie cutters at home which were begging to be used, anyway 😀 And next began the search for what cookies to make. In my mind, I was oscillating between sugar cookies, butter cookies, and shortbread cookies. I finally choose the shortbread cookies because I love how they melt in the mouth. Another advantage is that one can easily shape them using cookie cutters.
So I turned to my favorite site Joy of Baking for a shortbread cookies recipe and off started the process!
I got about 100 alphabet cookies from the quantities I have put below in the recipe. If you look at the original recipe, I made it three times or simply reduce the quantity from my recipe, if you to want lesser number of cookies. Also, this batter freezes well, so you can make and freeze it and just pop it out whenever you need to make them.
I thoroughly enjoyed making these shortbread cookies. Baking for kids is so satisfying, a small thing makes them happy and the joy on their faces make up for every hardship, that one might have gone through.
Also, my little one helped me through and through with this one 😀 Right from mixing using the machine to sprinkling the sugar candies and cutting the alphabets. The observation he made was ‘Mumma, this is just like clay but softer :)’
The cookies that came out were also very delicious and very soft. They were sweetened the right amount for kids and that slight crunch that came in the mouth with those sugar candies were amazing! My MIL actually told me that these are the best cookies she has ever had and such a compliment coming from mother in law! Of course, I am in seventh heaven 😉
Also they were a big big hit with the kids! So go on and try this simple recipe to make your party extra special!
Eat your own name - Shortbread Cookies
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar powdered
- 3 tsps vanilla
- 2 tsps lemon zest
- 1/2 - 1 cup sugar cookie candies for the toppings
- Cream the butter till soft and creamy. If you have a standing mixer, this can be done using the creaming blade for a minute or if you are using your hands (I love to cream by hand because its so nice) put the butter on the shelf and move your hands in a round motion on the butter till about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar to it and continue the same process till creamy and fluffy (You can use the normal mixie too, but I think the result would wary a little)
- Put in the vanilla and the flour and mix untill just about incorporated to form a soft dough. Please note that the dough will be very soft.
- Make a ball, wrap it in a parchment/butter paper and refrigerate it for at least an hour. I chilled it for about 2 hours and it worked well. This is a very important step here, if you skip this, you will not be able to handle the dough at all as will be too soft to roll or shape.
- Take out a little amount of the dough, flatten it using a rolling pin or hand on a dusted surface.
- Sprinkle some sugar candies on top of the rolled out dough and cut using the cookie cutter and place it on a lined cookie sheet, also remember to keep the dough back in the fridge. And try to minimize the reuse. It will be difficult to handle the second time round.
- Keep the cookies for chilling for about 15 minutes so that they retain the shape while baking,
- In the meanwhile, heat the oven at about 175C.
- Bake the cookies in the center rack for about 8 minutes, allow them to cool and pack it off.
I marvel at the effort you make. Looks yummy!
I loved them 😀
Aww I luv the li’l helper and wow @ his observation 🙂
Srivalli Jetti says
Aw..mons that surely looks wonderful..wish you had send this for Kid’s delight event..holiday special. Would have loved to circulate this! mummies will surely be happy..
Shruti Artsycraftsymom says
yayyyyyyyyyyy!! When can i drop by Mon??? …. I’m drooling over these n so would my daughter.. shez crazy about everything P.
Amazing Monika 🙂 I am sure the kids at Ojas’ party would have been thrilled munching on the alphabets 😀
Madam Goddess…I bow to thee…. Can I please fall at your feet?
You have loads of patience!! These are amazing, I am sure all the kids loved them
Munchkin's Mom says
love this idea…looks like you’ve really taken to joyofbaking.com..you seriously cant go wrong with their recipes..
Lovely! Showed mom the pics and she was mighty impressed with the idea and all the effort you put in 🙂
PS where did you get this mixer from?
Wow! That’s awesome! I love the idea of baking cookies as party favours. That must be a lot of hard work. Well done!
i can vouch for these cookies! they were yumm. and my kids get blogged about too!
ps – i want credit for the original alphabet cookie cutter idea. i don’t blog, so the only place i can get any credit for anything is your blog :-)))
yes yes darling D u do get credit for this I will update the post right away 😛 and what do I get in return of giving u so much credit???
thank u so much D
thanks roopa and welcome here
oh yes I totally love that site love it
will u thank auntie from my side?
he he yes yes preethi I do keep my feet clean 😉
yeah specially the elders one had so much fun reading their names out
shruti yes we must meet I have to take my prize too remember?
yeah valli I wanted to post this before 15th to send it there but was so busy just couldnt do it plus I had already sent one cookie recipe so I thought it would be too much 😉
thank u so much Ritu I really love doing it I guess
u really love him I can see that 😛
The Wizardspost says
Very Innovative, I must say.
Great Post !
thank u so much and welcome here the wizard post
Mon, I have quite a few things to say on this one. a) you’re amazing, babe and ojas is one lucky boy b) it’s SO sweet of you to take so much pain to make the little ones happy c) i’m SO stealing your idea for Bonbon’s budday (in April!) d) better still i’ll hound you for return gift ideas in March 😀 e) I hate you because you have a stand mixer f) (i’m scared to ask) are the alphabet cookie cutters available in blore? g) merry christmas and happy hols sweetie!
the only thing i can give you in return right now is a chance to spend christmas with my plumber and mason!!! (coz thats what i am doing 🙂
and you did’nt update your post – so no christmas with ym mason for you :-)))
ha ha ha thank u so much for the lovely comment u gals are good for my ego u know 😉
now to ur ques – pls feel free to call and chat I would be happy to help
and no those alphabet cutters are from US… actually got someone to bring me a 101 cookie cutter which includes various shapes, alphabets and nos
merry xmas to u too darling