Pumpkin curries are fast becoming favorite at home. The slight sweetness of the vegetable lends beautifully to the spice of the curry. And this Coorgi Pumpkin Curry is no exception. In fact I think the coconut based masala just makes it more delicious.
Coorgi Pumpkin Curry
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup yellow pumpkin chopped with peel
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 3 dry red chillies
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 8 Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
To be ground in paste
- 1/4 cup coconut grated
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 3 garlic cloves
- Cut pumpkin into medium size cubes and pressure cook them with salt, turmeric powder and water for just 1 whistle.
- Make a smooth paste with coconut, coriander powder, ginger, garlic and water.
- Add the paste to the cooked pumpkin, season with salt and let it simmer for about 20 mins.
- Add a little bit of jaggery, just to balance the dish
- For the tempering, heat ghee in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, cumin, fenugreek and let it sputter.
- Then add the garlic and let it brown.
- Throw in the curry leaves and dry red chillies, fry them up and pour into the pumpkin gravy.
Some more pumpkin recipes to try