Choco Walnut Swiss Roll made with spongy cake and some amazing filling of choco truffle cream and walnuts is the perfect treat!
I love Swiss rolls. I remember growing up eating them as a child and loving them! They were one of my favorite treats. Black forest cake, buttercream pastries, cream roll (Does anyone remember those? must make them one of these days) and Swiss rolls were the things we grew up on. So when I took up the task of making this choco walnut swiss roll, I was pretty nervous and excited, but it did turn out awesome and we all loved it 🙂
I made this Swiss roll using a chiffon sponge and it was soft spongy and not very heavy, just perfect for a Swiss roll. I was reading about how the Swiss rolls originated and what gave it the name. The Swiss Roll is basically any sponge cake which is rolled and has a filling of either cream, jam or icing. Where exactly the Swiss Rolls originated from is still unclear, but they are believed to have originated from Central Europe, in most likelihood, Austria.
What I love about Swiss Rolls are the different kinds of fillings you can put into them. Just make your favorite kind of sponge cake and then fill it in with anything that fancies you. It can be just plain whipped cream or something more exotic like some roasted nuts and choco chips. Roll up the cake and you have an amazing log of dessert which you can cut and make into rolls.
I made these choco walnut Swiss Rolls to distribute them to celebrate the Mindful Meanderings birthday – it is the blog we love to participate and watch the fantastic crafty activities which she creates! The blog turns 1 and she is giving away a lovely painting and distributing these Swiss rolls for her birthday! So give the blog a visit and leave a comment wishing and do let her know that you went there via my blog!
Choco Walnut Swiss Roll
For the sponge cake
- 100 gms Flour
- 15 gm Cocoa
- 3 gm Baking Powder
- A pinch Baking Soda
- 4 - 5 egg yolk depending on the size of the eggs
- 60 gm Sugar powder
- A pinch Salt
- 75 ml Water
- 60 ml oil
- 5 - 6 egg whites depending on the size of the eggs
- A pinch Salt (yes again)
- 40 gm Sugar
For the filling
- 100 gms truffle cream Chocolate flavored
- 50 gms cream Whipped
- 50 gms walnuts Roasted
- Sift flour, cocca powder, baking powder, baking soda twice.
- In a deep bowl, mix sugar powder, oil, egg yolks and water and slowly mix to blend together till smooth. This can get tricky, don't be too hard and over mix here.
- Beat egg whites, sugar and salt till soft peaks are formed.
- Blend the egg white meringue into egg yolk mixture slowly making sure not to loose the volume.
- Fold the dry mixture and mix to form a smooth batter.
- Pour into a 12"x15" tray which has been greased and lined with butter paper, let the batter be only 1/4" high maximum.
- Bake 180C for about 5-6 mins till done. Remember not to over do it as it will loose the spongyness and softness and will become very dry.
- Let it cool completely and using a butter paper, roll and let it set for about 2 hours.
- Open the roll now and spread a layer of truffle cream on top of the cake.
- Spread the whipped cream and walnuts in a very thin layer on top of the truffle cream of make alternate rows to see the design in the final roll as I did. (seen in the picture below)
- Roll again and then let it set for 2 hours. And then cut into slices and enjoy!