Cheese croissants which taste perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Irresistible and so delicious!
I was going to do this recipe a little later, but then, a lot of people have asked for it ever since I put up the picture on Facebook. Especially Deeps, so this one is for, Deeps! These are just cheese dinner rolls shaped as cheese croissants but they taste so yummy. They go very well with any continental kind side dish for dinner, with eggs for breakfast and even with tea, if you make their mini versions!
I was trying to get some fun facts on croissants when I was writing up this post. Apparently, croissants are not French born as most people think. They were first made in Austria and not France 🙂 The ‘kipferi’ is a crescent shaped sweet made with nuts and other fillings inside a flaky bread, and this is supposed to be the origin of the croissants. The French queen Marie Antoinette who was Austrian was supposed to be a big fan of the ‘kipferi’ and legend says that she missed it so much that she requested the royal bakers in France to attempt making it and thus was born the ‘croissants’. Of course, another story goes that August Zang, an Austrian officer opened a bakery in Paris in 1839 and started serving ‘kipferi’ which eventually got modified into a croissant.
Isn’t it amazing when we read all these stories on how food has evolved through the ages! Ask anyone and they would say croissants are French, but then they are not! Its like the samosa, isn’t it? Like how most people believe they originated in India but they are an import from the Middle East! Ask anyone and they will tell you samosas are unanimous with India 🙂
These cheese croissants are sure a big hit at my home! Have a try in baking them and you will be stumped by the delicious taste!
Cheese Croissants - Post 11
- 250 gms Maida
- 4 gms Salt (1 little less than 1 tsp however you can go upto 1 tsp)
- 10 gms Sugar
- 12 gm Yeast
- 150 ml Water
- 14 gm butter, margarine or oil
- 10 ml Milk
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 75 gm Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Powder
- Mix yeast, water and sugar together and let it activate for about 5 mins.
- Sieve flour and make a well in the center. Add the yeast solution, milk and make soft and smooth dough by kneading. We have to knead it really well at least for 25 mins or so till it passes the gluten membrane test. Basically when you take a piece in your hand and stretch it should not break.
- Mix the fat now and smoothen it.
- Add the grated cheese, pepper powder, mustard powder and knead again for like 4-5 mins. (You can also add any herbs at this point, I think I added oregano to mine)
- Rest the dough covered for about 20-40 mins (depends on the weather. If it is hot weather, it will work sooner) till it becomes doubles.
- Knock back the dough and rest again for 5 mins.
- Roll the dough in a smooth circle. Cut into 8 triangle pieces using pizza cutter.
- Take one part, make the slit at the bottom of about 1/2 - 1 inch and roll upwards to give it a Croissant like shape till you reach the tip. Put a drop of water to seal.
- Place in the greased baking tray.
- Leave it for proofing for about 10-15 mins till it doubles in size and when you touch, it kind of bounces back. At this stage, you can also brush them with a little mixture of egg and for the shine and color.
- Bake at about 200C for 10-15 mins.
- The above recipe will yield 8 of them.
me phurst! 😀 😀
I love cheese croissants! 🙂
ok, I’m commenting more in the morning! 😉
Waa waa mooh me paani!
These look absolutely yummy…need to make them sometime soon 😀
lol u drunk girl 😉
😀 😀 😀
yeah try ur hands
Mamma Mia! Me a Mamma?!? says
Oooh! yum yum yum! The videos are a nice touch.
Munchkin's Mom says
these look delish…i make similar cheese straws with parmesan_chilli powder+cumin powder..next time I’ll try herbs like u suggested
First of all..Muah!! Thanks a ton for sharing this, Mon 🙂
I AM going to try this recipe very soon…I’ll be mailing and pestering you constantly with my silly doubts though, so be prepared for that 😀
ROFL U r nt bk Pix 😛 😛
Mons, lunch @ ur place this time .. no Ping or Sing 😛 😛
Looks yummy !!! 🙂
Hi Monika, please let me know how I can customize this to make chocolate croissants? Or if you can post a chocolate croissant recipe, that would be awesome! Thanks:)