There is something very comforting about biting into a cinnamon roll – the soft bread with almost melted sugar and the warm spice hit from cinnamon! Perfection is the name!
When I embarked on the A-Z of the baking journey, there was one alphabet I was crystal clear on – C is for cinnamon rolls. I adore cinnamon rolls and the fact that I love cinnamon as a spice should be pretty evident from the name of the blog itself, and for those who don’t know yet. The name is a play on cinnamon the spice, sinful goodies and my name Monika 🙂
There is something very comforting about biting into a cinnamon roll, the soft and pillowy bread, almost melted sugar and the warm spice hit from cinnamon.
Over time with so much baking and the smell of sugar, I have mostly gotten over my dessert cravings, apart from a few things, and cinnamon rolls still tops the list of those things.
A cup of tea or coffee, a book and a cinnamon roll is all I need to get lost in my happy world. When I have these things, I am suddenly at peace with everything around me.
When I am in an extra decadent mood, I add a coffee and maple syrup frosting to it and then I reach a place where nothing can ever go wrong with the world, not till I have those cinnamon rolls in supply anyway!
So before I go off to the dreamy world of cinnamon rolls and tea, here is the recipe for you and you can use this recipe with any filling. I have, at times, used orange marmalade, Nutella, even cake crumbs and cherries. It depends on my mood on that day, but cinnamon sugar is the favorite.
Know more about yeast and bread making by clicking on the links! The two posts will answer all your questions about using yeast and bread!
Recipe inspired and adapted by Jamie Oliver’s Cinnamon Swirls!
For the dough
- 10 gm yeast
- 1 kg flour all pupose
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300 ml water
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tbsps olive oil
For the filling
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsps cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup cream cheese (optional but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup rum raisins soaked (plain will work as well)
- egg for coating (optional)
- Mix together the ingredients of the dough either by hand or using your stand mixer and knead the dough well. If you are kneading by hands, it will take anywhere between 8-12 minutes till the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a damp kitchen towel and let it raise for an hour or so till double in size.
- Once the dough is double, tap the dough down to release all the air and roll it in about 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
- Spread a very thin layer of cream cheese followed by melted butter. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar (sugar + cinnamon mixed together) and spread the raisins.
- Roll the rectangular dough into a log and cut into 3/4 inch pieces. Line them in a greased baking tray and set aside for proofing for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Glaze the cinnamon rolls with eggs (optional but will give you a glaze like in first picture) and sprinkle some more cinnamon sugar on top (again optional but I like the color it gives).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes till the rolls are golden brown in color.
- Serve warm.
Shanu Khan says
OrderLine Pvt. Ltd. is a startup company in Ahmedabad. The company works on two different agendas, first, “One number for all restaurants”. Under this process, people can willing to order food over the phone and people willing to get home delivery from those restaurant which does not deliver, are served. Actually, it is a very reliable service as people do not have to search restaurant’s or cafe’s phone number every time they want to order, just dial one phone number and receive your food. Also, there are many restrictions when it comes to ordering online via the website or an app, as due to slow internet, due to age limits – past generation (our elders) are not much teach savvy, compared to all such problems this system comes handy.
Secondly, OrderLine Pvt. Ltd. promotes their second agenda on their website, in which, they allow customers to have discounts on dine-in as well as parcel orders from restaurants. Imagine you are getting discounts every time you go out for dinner. People do not have to order online or get home delivery to get a discount, this is all about going to work and getting discounts on your lunch, hanging out with friends and getting discounts, or going for dinner with family and getting discounts. The process is very simple to claim this offer, search for the restaurant, enter phone number in given field and you will recieve an SMS with a quick discount code, which one can saw it at billing counter to get their code redeemed. Meanwhile, if one does not receive code – generated code is also displayed on the screen for a time being.
Now talking about the weight of a company, it is registered on 5th Feb 2016, and has 80+ restaurant and still growing. Recently they advertised to hire 150 marketing guys/girls to speed up their marketing process. Having 80+ restaurant, they are catering around 300 orders e a day while they have an average of 2000 visitors a day on their website.
The company is just at their initial stage and looking for a venture capitalist. Sources say they do not acquire any venture capital yet.
Link to the website: http://www.orderline.in
Which type of yeast do you use ?
I use instant dry yeast. Gloripan in India