Strawberry Balsamic Pepper Preserve
I love strawberries, I have been buying them by the kilos from my grocer and using them in everything. Baking with them, eating them just like that, making a jam, ice creams and then some where an idea hit me to use it with balsamic vinegar and then I saw Sonya use pepper with them and I knew that strawberry, balsamic and pepper is a combination that HAS to be tried.
I tried and loved it, we finished a bottle in a week then I made again and we finished it yet again, This recipe is a keeper I assure you and damn oh so easy... So I thought I will do a quick post with it.
And the jam is as simple as 1-2-3.
- Cut and scrape the vanilla pods to gather all the vanilla seeds.
- Soak washed strawberries with sugar, lemon juice and vanilla (both the seeds and pod) for two hours, they will leave a lot of water.
- At this point start to heat them, bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
- Add freshly ground pepper and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or so till it thickens.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and let the preserve cool down.
- Take off the vanilla pod and put it in sterilized jam cans.
Shelf Life - 1 week at room temprature, 1 month in the refrigerator, mine never gets past one week stage.