Comfort Food - Post 25
Everyone has a comfort food isnt it... The food you crave when u have nothing else to do, when u wee bit down... when may be your mood is not uptight or may be the health is not the best... For N its rasam-rice.... and for me its dal-roti... seriously when nothing works Dal-Roti does...
And hence I love experimenting with dal, mixing various dal's together, adding some veggies to it... the variations give dal a face lift and make it an all new dish which is yummy and healthy too...
So when after marriage I first eat this dal which is the favorite of my mil too, I fell in love with it... a dal which has all my fav elements - dal, methi and palak... But unfortunately toor dal doesn't suit me too much these days... gives me terrible gas so I came up with my own version of this dal which now everyone in the house enjoys totally.........
- Wash and chop methi and palak leaves finely.
- Boil together with dal, chopped tomato, slit green chillies, salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker.
- Let the steam escape.
- Soak tamarind in warm water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard jeera seeds to it.
- After they turn brown and start spluttering add the urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes till the dal browns a little.
- Add onions to the same and fry them till golden brown.
- Add all dry masalas, fry for another minute.
- Add the dal, mash a bit along with the tamarind water.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes or so.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice