Cholar Dal : Bengali Style Channa Dal
So yesterday we ate luchis, how could cholar dal be left behind. Cholar dal is a bengali preparation of midly spiced and slightly sweet channa dal, personally for me it is a bit bland but with luchis and pickle it tastes pretty good. However, the child at home loves it and I think its perfect food for kids since it hardly has spices. I was introduced to this by bengali friend years ago when O was still a wee toddler and I was looking for adding variety to his food.
- Wash and soak the channa dal in warm water for approximately an hour
- Pressure cook your channa dal with salt and turmeric till just done. We don't want the dal to be mushy. I give it one whistle and then lower the heat and cook for 5-6 minutes and let the pressure release itself.
- In a small pan heat ghee and add heeng, roast for a minute till it turns brown. Add the cumin seeds and roast further for about 2 minutes till golden brown
- Add the sliced coconut and roast till it starts to turn brown. Add this to the dal along with sugar and bring to boil.
- Serve hot with luchis or rice