Bacon Brownies : Heaven on Plate
Bacon makes everything better. Bacon is God. Atleast as far as I am concerned.
I had first encountered the pairing of Bacon and chocolate in bacon chocolates someone got for me from US. The taste kind of blew my mind, I had one, then the second and before I knew I had finished the whole box of 12 without sharing a single bite with anyone. Many years ago it was a flavour combination that blew my mind and since then I have it many ways at many places but even now one of my most favorite ways of eating this is as "Bacon Brownies" for me truly Heaven on Plate.
I started making them many years ago and make many many versions of them. Just like other brownies I make. Sometimes I spike them with rum and sometimes add salted caramel sauce on top. Sometimes I add nuts to it and sometimes the only smokiness is bacon. But every time I have made them they have indeed produced aahs and oohs and sighs when eaten.
So this weekend, make this bacon brownies. Take a plate for yourself and eat one piece every few hours till the soul is totally happy with the goodness. We will think about that extra run on Monday
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 9inch square tin with parchment paper. Do use parchment paper and not butter paper since the butter paper tends to stick and is not really food grade. If you don't have parchment paper handy one can use good quality aluminum foil and grease it a little with butter.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, add the streaky bacon bits and cook, stirring occasionally until it starts to crispen a little. Add the honey, stir again and turn off the heat. Spread the fried bacon bits on a plate to cool, if you doing the optional topping in the end you fry that along with this step as well.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Keep aside.
- In a glass bowl, melt the butter using the microwave or on the stove top in a heavy bottom pan on low heat. Let it cool for a couple of minutes
- Add the brown sugar and stir well. Let it cool again for 3 minutes. In the meanwhile open and slit the vanilla pod and take out the vanilla seeds. Add them to the sugar and butter mixture. (I prefer to use the vanilla pod seeds in baking but if you find it tedious here is a good quality vanilla extract one can use)
- Add one egg at a time, stirring well after each egg. Now add the sifted flour mixture, along with sautéed bacon bits and chopped dark chocolate and if using the chopped walnuts.
- Stir will mixed well. Pour the brownie mixture in the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven. The centre of the brownie should be slight gooey so that you have the perfect brownies.
- Let them cool before slicing in neat squares and use a wet knife for cleaner squares.
- And oh ya take a bread from the fridge and wipe out the plate in which you had kept the sautéed bacon bits and then go back to the bacon brownies. Double heaven
So here is something to make your weekend mind blowing awesome :D
In the picture below I have also sprinkled some caramelised bacon on top along with some salted caramel sauce and that made it "I just died and went to heaven brownies"
PS: Did you know you can tweet everyday and increase your chances to win the giveaway, have you taken part in it yet. Go ahead. Don't wait more