A beautiful fish curry – Fish DoPyaza done in 20 minutes! A perfect quick meal option!
We, at home, are fish lovers and one of the most common dish I make is, Fish doPyaza. It uses ingredients you can count on fingers and is ready in under 20 minutes. With dal and rice, this is the like the perfect weekday dinner. But I am always making it in a hurry and I have never got around really photographing it. Last week, I just took a quick cellphone shot and posted on instagram asking if I should do a quick post and I got many messages saying yes please do.
Some of the simplest recipes are often the most delicious, isn’t it? Like this yummy lemony buttery prawns. Which are another favorite at home. It gets done in 10 minutes and is so delicious. Whenever I have sudden guests at home, I usually fall back on that recipe 🙂
I love that we have so many fish recipes options. Whether it is this fish dopyaza or the yummy herb crusted fish, we love all of it at home. Now when I think of it, we do have fish at least a couple of times at home. And I end up making prawns very often too. Then it is the delicious Chettinad style crab curry I learnt from N’s grandmom which regularly features at home. The delicious crab rasam with rice and applams is a favorite too. And then, of course, the super yummy Macher Jhol from Bengal. Few people can resist that fish curry, isn’t it?
Sigh, I could write a whole ode to fish and seafood, honestly! And of course, if you cook fish the right way, it is extremely good for health. It is super rich in omega 3 fatty acids and a perfect source for vitamins too!
Recipe : Fish Do Pyaaza.
Quick Cooking : Fish DoPyaza
- 500 gm fish cubes (I used seer, sea bass any you have on hand)
- 5 - 6 onions roughly chopped (in 4 - 6 pieces)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- pinch turmeric
- to taste salt
- 2 tsps ghee
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add onions and fry till light golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, salt and turmeric and cook till onions are almost done and all the moisture dries up.
- Add fish and fry till cook, it will take approx 4-7 minutes depending on the fish you are using.
- Serve hot with rice and dal.