Ragi Vermicelli is a breakfast option which is healthy and tastes so fantastic! You can even pack it up for the lunchbox!
It’s been a couple of months now that I have been sharing weekly menus now and the emails and response to this initiative has been overwhelming. I am so glad you think this is helping you guys in the planning too. Going forward I am thinking of sharing my grocery cart for the week to execute the menu. What I buy and when to make what so that the whole week goes on smoothly. I also spend a fair amount of time on Sunday prepping my refrigerator for the week ahead – some masalas, some sauces like pesto etc. May be, I will add that to the menu of the week and post along with the recipe links, like I am doing for this Ragi Vermicelli. I have been thinking how else can I make the weekly menu post more efficient for me as well as you guys. What do you think I should add to this? What would you guys like to see on a weekly basis? Tell me and I promise I will try and incorporate the same as much as I can.
Recipe Links for this week’s stuff.
Some weeks ago, I had Ragi Vermicelli as breakfast (It is in this week’s menu as well since we love it at home!) and posted a picture on Instagram. There was so much interest in i. that I am posting its recipe this week despite of not having a great picture to go with it (I will probably update the picture when I cook it this week).
A couple of things to probably keep in mind when making ragi vermicelli would be – the brand to buy and how to basic cook them. I have seen numerous brands in the market selling them but after trying most, I prefer either Aachi or Manna. Manna more often because it is available on Zopnow and makes my life easier (online grocery shopping post coming up soon). Second is cooking, ragi vermicelli tends to get mushy very very soon and hence I personally like to steam them and the saute with the veggies. I put my rice for the day in the rice cooker and put the vermicelli on top for steaming, saves time and power and also results in perfect strands of vermicelli.
Recipe : Ragi Vermicelli.
Menu of the week 14th Sep and Recipe for Ragi Vermicelli
- 1.5 cups ragi vermicelli
- 1 onion large sliced
- 1/2 cup Carrots sliced
- 1/3 cup Peas
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp ghee or oil
- Handful curry leaves
- to taste salt
- half lemon juice
- Steam the ragi vermicelli in a rice cooker or a steamer for about 5-6 minutes or till it is cooked but firm.
- Keep aside, you add a few drops of oil and mix it if you aren't going to cook it immediately so that they don't stick to each other
- In a kadai, heat ghee or oil and when it is hot, add hing and let it brown for about 30 seconds.
- Add mustard seeds and when they crackle, add the urad dal and curry leaves.
- Saute for 1 minute or so till the dal is slightly browned.
- Add onions and fry till translucent and soft.
- Add the green chillies along with par boiled carrots and peas (you can use any other vegetables you like too).
- Add salt and saute further for about 2 minutes.
- Add the steamed ragi vermicelli and mix well.
- Switch off the gas and add lemon juice, stir and serve hot.