I am a huge fan of really good flavoursome Thai soups. And this Lime coconut soup with chicken meatballs is the perfect bowl of goodness.
This Lime coconut soup with Chicken meatballs is really a surprise package. A bowl full of interesting flavours in every bite and all it takes is 20 odd minutes to put together.
I am a huge fan of really good flavoursome Thai soups. When it comes to Thai cuisine especially clean, clear cut flavours are the bomb. Sometimes there are days when you badly need a good, comforting Thai soup but you really don’t have the ingredients for it.
And that is exactly when I made myself this particular soup and it was bang on. Just the way I like it and the flavours were bang on. There are a few ingredients that you might find in your pantry that can actually substitute the Thai flavours. Starting off with galangal and ginger. They are of the same family but slightly different in taste. Bird’s eye chilli for the normal fresh red chilli. Kaffir lime with our humble lime and lime leaves (if you can get your hands on some). For the umami use a little bit of soya sauce or fish sauce. Et voila, you have yourself some really good soup.
I had a few chicken meatballs for that extra protein. And extra points because it gets poached in the soup as it’s cooking. Avoids all the extra frying and cleaning that comes with it. You can also try it with paneer, but do not cook it for long. But this goes without saying that when you get the real Thai ingredients, use them. This is just my humble attempt at keeping my cravings at bay.
Lime & coconut soup with Chicken meatballs
For the chicken meatballs
- 150 g Chicken mince
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Spring onions chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp Soya sauce
- 2 tsp Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Bread crumbs optional
For the soup broth
- 200 ml Coconut milk
- 100 ml Water
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 3 Lime leaves
- 1/4 cup Button mushroom
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce or soya sauce
- 2 Red chillies
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Finely chop or grate garlic, chop the spring onions and coriander as well, if using.
- Mix chicken mince and bring everything together with the coconut milk, soya sauce, salt and breadcrumbs, the greens, garlic and the minced chicken.
- In a pan, add coconut milk and water and bring it to a slow simmer. Add the sliced ginger, lime leaves, red chillies
- Roll out small balls from the chicken mince mixture and keep aside. Cut the mushroom into quarters or even slice it.
- Once you start to see a few bubbles add in the chicken meatballs. Cover and cook for about 5 mins. Let them poach in the coconut milk
- Then add the mushrooms and cover and cook for another 5 mins. Then taste the soup, adjust accordingly with a little bit of soya sauce, sugar and salt.
- Once you think it tastes perfect, turn off heat and then add the lime juice. Taste once again and then serve hot.