This chilli jam using fresh red chillies and red bell peppers is a joy in every way. From the gorgeous colour to the perfect sweet & spicy balance. And works as a condiment to EVERYTHING!
I love condiments especially the jam and preserve kinds. And this chilli jam is my absolute new favorite.
I have always loved creating new jams/preserves from various ingredients and this is such a fun way to create your own flavours. Here I have made a chilli jam using fresh red chillies and red bell peppers. Fresh red chillies obviously for the heat. You can deseed them and use them or not. Red bell peppers are more for the colour and the capsaicin flavour minus the heat.
Sugar is an important ingredient here as you are making a jam at the end of the day. I have used a combination of white and brown sugar just to balance the flavours. And to keep that vibrant colour alive.
While grinding the chillies and bell peppers, make sure to grind it into small bits but not a paste. Add all the ingredients together and cook it out. You can also grind the mixture once again after the jam is made, just so that you achieve the texture you want.
If you want a very jammy consistency, use a little pectin. I do know the joys of a jelly-like texture but I love it like this, more like a preserve. It goes perfectly with some bread and fresh ricotta cheese spread over it. I also have some very interesting recipes using this jam coming up, so stay tuned for that.
- 10 Fresh Red Chillies
- 2 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Deseed the red chillies as well as the bell peppers. If you really like it spicy you can leave the seeds on for a couple of chillies. Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Finely chop the bell peppers and chillies or just give it a whiz in a blender or food processor. You can make it as fine as you want. But do not add water and make it into a paste.
- Add the chopped mixture to a pan along with the sugar, vinegar, salt and about 1/2 cup water.
- Bring it to a boil and let it continue boiling for 10 mins.
- For a set jam/jelly like consistency you will need to add more sugar and pectin to it. But I prefer it to be more ‘preserve’ like consistency but you could also blend the jam to a smoother consistency if preferred once it has cooled down a bit.
- Taste test for sweet, spiciness and the consistency you would like and adjust if sugar/salt and water if you wish.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- Fill up the jam/preserve in sterilized jars and store in a cool place for upto a week.
If you make this , do share a picture with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you have to say about it.
Leave a Reply