Chilled Melon Soup is inspired by the Spanish gazpacho and is my take on the classic tomato version. Perfect for summer, stellar in its flavour and ready in 15 minutes.
I have said it before that summer is bearable only because of summer fruits – mangoes and litchis and melons and cherry and so many other delightful little things. I can survive only on the basis of fruits in summer. And also because I end up making these dishes like this chilled melon soup 🙂
Though I love eating fruits as themselves. it is so much fun to create stuff out of them. Especially something is not considered as a dessert. And since we all love soup at home, I thought, why not a soup?
This Chilled Melon Soup is inspired by the Spanish gazpacho and is my take on the classic tomato version, more because of need. honestly, than anything else. The child refused to eat the cold tomato soup and then I thought why not use a fruit instead and the resulting Melon gazpacho if I may call it, that is stellar in its flavour and is now a family favorite.
It, anyways, makes me wonder why are cold soups not popular enough in India, considering all I really want in summer is something to drink and if that something is cold even better. I know traditionally we like crabs in our meals and find them comforting, but I have taken to cold soups during summer and find them filling and delightful. A perfect dinner meal, especially if you combine them with a slice of good bread and a crisp lettuce salad!
Honestly speaking, Bangalore has done a U-turn on the weather while I type this, it is cold and breezy, a weather which demands chai, pakora, book and endless conversations with work but I know the rest of the India is pretty much burning still. So this soup is from all of you, from Bangalore with love 🙂
Chilled Melon Soup
- 1 muskmelon medium sized
- 1/2 watermelon small sized
- 6 - 8 mint leaves
- one lemon Juice of
- 1 onion small , finely chopped
- 5 - 6 jalapeno Canned slices
- 6 tsps hung curd
- Mint for garnishing
- to taste salt Black
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground
- Roughly chop both the watermelon and musk-melon in chunks.
- Remove 1/4 cup of each melon from this and chop them finely. Finely chop two jalapeno slices. Mix the finely chopped onions and jalapenos to the finely chopped melons and keep aside. Add a little salt and pepper powder to this.
- Using a mixer or a smoothie maker, grind together both melons, rest of the jalapeno slices and mint leaves using little water (around 1/4 cup). Add black salt to it and mix. This is the base of your soup.
- Chill both the soup and the chopped melon mix for atleast 2 hours.
- Just before serving mix together the soup and the melon mixture. Pour in a soup bowl and top with 1 tsp of hung curd and garnish with mint leaves.
- Serve with toasted bread and salad for a lovely summer meal.