Delightful chocolate coconut cookies which are easy to make and taste so amazing!
I am celebrating the winner of BongMom’s cookbook giveaway with these chocolate coconut cookies!
Drumrolls please, we have a lucky winner for Sandeepa’s book “BongMom CookBook” and the winner is Kusum Rohra.
And to celebrate such a good news, I have for you some chocolate coconut cookies. I absolutely love chocolate and coconut together. I also make a chocolate and tender coconut mousse which is quite a hit with people I know. So I was fairly confident about these cookies, whn I tried the flavour combination the first time. Bu this recent batch surpassed my expectations. These were delightfully good, crunchy and chocolately!
Honestly, the taste of coconut with chocolate is really heavenly. Coconut is such a versatile ingredient, isn’t it? While in recent times it has earned a bad name, in reality, it is really good for health. Now studies are saying it has loads of good cholesterol and is great against bacterial and fungal infections. Well, for me, coconut is an ingredient which enhances the flavor of any dish, whether it is sweet or savory.
I really love most of the South Indian savory dishes, which use coconut as a base. I love the delicious modak which is made during Ganesh Chaturthi which has a filling of coconut and jaggery inside it. I love the use of coconut in baked dishes. In short, coconut is a favorite 🙂
While I was growing up, I have never eaten too much coconut. Mom used to cook mainly North Indian dishes and one of the few dishes which we used to have was the coconut chutney. After marrying a South Indian I have realised how versatile coconut really is. Add it to any dish and oh the flavors!
So try out this super delicious chocolate coconut cookies today! And trust me, you won’t stop at one 🙂
Makes 20-24 cookies.
BongMom Cookbook Giveaway Winner & Chocolate Coconut cookies
- 100 grams dark chocolate chopped
- 3 egg whites large
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups coconut desiccated
- In a double boiler or in a microwave on low power, melt the chocolate. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Then, in a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites. We do not need to form peaks here, just whisked till they are frothy.
- Add the cocoa, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and whisk to combine them together.
- Fold in the coconut and melted chocolate, making sure the coconut is completely coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Cover the bowl with a cling film and refrigerate for about one hour or so.
- Preheat oven to 165 C and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or better still use Silpat.
- Place one heaping tablespoons of the batter on the baking sheet leaving about 2 inches in between for the space for them to rise/expand.
- Bake for about 13-15 minutes until they are shiny and just beginning to get set, they will harden when you cool them so don't wait for them to completely set in the oven.
- Cool on a wire rack and then pack in an airtight container. They stay well till 2 weeks that is if they last so long.