Whole Wheat Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes
I have had this picture ready for a few days and the post was supposed to go up yesterday morning first thing but the news of Cucumbertown shutting down came along and had me feeling down and out. Very low on motivation and worried about the next step, I came here multiple times only to go away without typing a word.
I moved to CT more than an year ago, and the journey with them has been really good so far. I love the clean interface, the recipe editor and many more things and just when I thought I had 100% confidence in the system, came the announcement of it's shutting.
Though I am sad, I cannot even imagine what the team currently is going through. Shutting a business is never easy, the startup ecosystem is so cruel sometimes that it leaves you wondering where did my hard work grow. Seeing something you build go away is heartbreaking and I feel for the CT team. But people, onwards and upwards like they say. I am sure whatever you do next, you will shine bright as well.
(Do read what Cherian has to say about CT shutting down)
Anyways, moving on the recipe in the post. The spiced Pumpkin Pancakes - the healthier, yummier and more enticing version of the child's favorite breakfast ever. No wonder for O these were ranked top among all the Pumpkin recipes I tried
But what was surprising was the otherwise, I don't like pancakes saying husband eating multiple helpings of these. The pumpkin gave these pancakes a fantastic depth of flavour.
In a way they also reminded me of a kaddu cheela my granny used to make, I think she used to add jaggery and suanf to it though I can't recall very clearly. But I do have memories of eating that sweet cheela on Delhi winter mornings. I often miss my granny's food, sometimes the food that I don't even remember clearly. Often something I eat, sparks a memory, tingles my tastebuds in the remembrance of badi mummy and I realise food memories run much deeper than we realise they do. Eating this Pumpkin pancake was one of those times for me, it made me miss my granny and still made me feel her warmth at the same time. I must try and replicate that recipe from my memory but till then here is the recipe of the Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes
Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes
- In a large bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, baking powder and spices together. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree and melted butter till well blended.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet in three batches, alternating every batch with butter milk.
- Mix till really smooth and well blended.
- Brush a cast iron skillet with oil and let it heat a bit. Pour 1/3 cupfuls of batter into skillet. Cook on medium heat until bubbles form on surface of pancakes and bottoms are brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter, brushing skillet with oil between batches
- Serve warm with maple syrup and a cup of coffee for the perfect fall breakfast