Tomato Rice & Comfort Food Series
Its time for Blog Hop wednesday and while I was browsing through the blog assigned to me for this week, I realised how we pick some recipes instantly and some just don’t even give it a chance. While I was thinking, my thoughts wandered away (hello don’t you say whats new now) to comfort food.. don’t we all have comfort foods, some foods we turn to when we are upset, some foods we turn to when we are happy, foods that give us comfort. Somewhere high up in the list of comfort food comes spicy tomato rice and raita for me but I realised I don’t have the recipe of that up on the blog, infact after I digged a little I realised I hardly have recipes of any of my comfort food up on the blog. So this will be the first post in comfort food series that hopefully I will be doing.
So I tried the tomato rice version on Ammu;s blog for today for dinner and it turned out pretty yumm… a little strange but nonetheless yumm, strange because it nicely balances the mexican flavors of jalapenos and olive oil with indian masalas… I served it with the burnt garlic chutney and boondi raita and the combo turned out for a super simple but yet hurried veg meal, for a day when I don’t feel like doing anything elaborate and idea is to get something on the table fast and quick.
Recipe – Tomato Rice (adapted from Ammu’s Kitchen)
- Heat a pan with oil add jeera to it. Fry till it browns a little.
- Add garlic and chillis. Fry them till garlic is turns a little brown.
- Add onion to pan and fry it till they turned transparent.
- Add a couple of mashed mint leaves and fry for one minute.
- Add tomatoes along with salt and allow them to cook with a closed lid for about 5-6 minutes till they are soft and mushy.
- Add the jalapenos at this stage along with other masalas… Mix tomato mixture carefully to rice without breaking it garnish with cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve hot.
For seeing what the other blog hoppers are cooking go here