Time for some xmas cake
I usually make a rich and yummy Plum/fruit cake for Xmas recipe of which I had posted last year. But this year I wanted to make a fruit cake but also wanted to do something different. So I started doing what I do the best, I started browsing ofcourse ;-) I read many recipes online but somehow none of them really stuck home (though I must say I love this Florentine cake and might make it before Saturday once :) ) I had my fruits soaked in rum ready and hence I decided to pick something from one recipe, something from another, something from my own and made my own fruit cake :D.
Anyone who knows, would have guessed by now what is the most major change I did to the cake... I made it out of whole wheat flour :)
To be soaked before hand (2 cups of dried fruit)
For the cake
Chopped nuts (1 cup - I used the following)
- Sift the flour and baking powder once and keep aside.
- Grease and dust your baking tin and line it will double parchment paper or butter paper. I used 8-inch round springfoam pan and a little batter was left as I didnt fill it as much as I could have.
- Mix sugar and oil together till light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and keep mixing till well blended.
- Fold in the flour gently and than add the dried fruit mixture along with all the liquid slowly till just mixed.
- Add the nuts and mix gently again.
- Pour the batter into the pan you have prepared, level with a spoon and decorate with blanched almonds... (I love the crispness they add to the baked cake.
- Bake at 175 C for 30-40 mins and than reduce the temperature to 160C, cover the cake with parchment paper or foil and bake again for 30-40 mins or till the skewer comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely for 4-5 hours before removing the paper. Typically the cake is than seasoned with rum a couple of times before eating but we dont have so much patience in our household... so what are you waiting for? Have a slice?
And I am sending this to Blog Anniversary event of the lovely blog Cakes and More. The book that Suma has as a give away is one on my must have list... And ofcourse this one goes to my regular Champa's Bake-Off :D.