Red Wine Chocolate Cake
This Xmas vacation has put me in a baking overdrive, inspite the fact that Bangalore isn't too cold. I guess it's the feeling of festivity in the air, the desire of the smell of spices and cakes that makes it like this. Last week, I wanted to bake something different, in my head I clearly wanted something chocolatey and something boozy, yet rum was too boring. Tried this red wine chocolate and I think it has the potential to be the star of any party. Different from the usual fruits cake yet has all the elements of the holiday celebrations.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Keep aside
- In a large bowl, using the electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Continue till light until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the egg and yolk and beat till well mixed.
- Add the red wine and vanilla. Beat for another minute or so.
- Fold in half the flour mixture. When combined, fold the rest in.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before slicing or serving.
- Serve sprinkled with icing sugar, a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream