Raw Mango Chutney/Instant Pickle BM6 Post 3
There was a time when I used to eat mango in only the raw form, yea yeah you can roll your eyes. I used to hate ripe mangoes. I would eat it like once in the whole season and that too because mum and dad would kind of force me to atleast taste. And something changed when I was pregnant, I could live on mangoes, I would dream about them... I could eat them all day long and the fresh lot (a big lot) of mangoes that had arrived fresh from the village did no help to control the urge to eat... That is the day I knew that damn my life is indeed changing :P I havent complained since that time though... mangoes is something I can do loving... but in all this my love for raw mango has not diminished that remains unparalleled.
I can still eat many raw mangoes a day sprinkled with salt and loads of red chilly powder. I still love aam panna, I still love aam ka achar, the mango dal, the mango rice and the various other things one can think of :)
I first came across Raw mango chutney at a friends house though what she made was a little too sweet for my taste buds, but I liked the basic idea of making a pachadi like that, it could double up as a healthier pickle (which I am addicted to BTW)... less salt, much less oil.... so I started picturing in my mind how I would like it to taste and came up with rough recipe and the rest evolved when I entered the kitchen... and that's how I usually work and that's how I love it... discovering and innovating along the way, experimenting with flavours that's what is cooking all about right?
- Heat oil in a pan, add hing to it followed by ginger. Let them saute for 2 mins. Add curry leaves.
- After 1 minute add the raw mango and fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add the rest of the masalas. Mix well.
- Add a little water to it and let it cook till mango is just about cooked. Dont overcook it, the peel should be slightly crisp.
- In the end add the lemon juice and take off the gas.
- Serve hot or cold. I personally prefer it more the next day when the flavours have totally blended with each other.
Raw mango - semi ripe would do too
Oil - use mustard oil if u can stand the smell I can't so I used normal oil but I have a feeling it will taste good here for those who like
U can serve it with rice like my hubby loves it or have it like me... with a namak and mirch ka parantha... :)
Also check out what Other Blogging Marathoners are upto
Sending this to My Culinary Creations – Mango Recipes