Punjabi Dhabe Walli Dal
I love all dals… I remember growing up to eating a different dal everyday of the week, there is moong, channa, urad, masoor, arhar (toor), moth and so many more… I also remember never remembering their names and telling mum by color and shape as to what dal we want to eat today. And among that is one dal which stands out as a favourite for me… most favourite and its the Punjabi dhabe walli dal. So the other day when I was tweeting my lunch menu and it was a part of it, I got so many requests for its recipe.. So here is it for all my twitter pals.
- Wash and boil the dals well along with salt and turmeric. The way I boil my dal is pressure cook it. After one whistle lower the flame and cook it for 10 minutes but you can choose to cook it on full too. I think it should be done in 5-6 whistles
- Wait for the steam to leave the cooker. Till than start preparing the tadka or the seasoning
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds till they turn a little brown
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden brown in color
- Add tomatoes and all the dry masalas expect garam masala at this stage. Saute till the tomatoes are done and start leaving a little oil.
- Add the tadka to the dal and boil for 4-5 minutes, add garam masala and boil for 1/2 minute just to ensure its mixed
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot. According to me it goes best with tandoori paranthas and bharwan karela…. but is yummy with just about everything