Onam Recipes : Parippu (moong dal with coconut)
Dal has always been comfort food for me, whether it is the simple toor dal with a hing tadka or the kickass methi & palak dal my mil makes with tamarind or it is the punjabi dhabha walli dal. So it wasn't a surprise that I fell in love with parippu, the kerala style roasted moong dal with coconut. The roasted moong dal gives it a nutty flavour which is enhanced by coconut and the spiciness of chillies and shallots.
For the seasoning
- In a pan dry roast the moong dal till slightly brown and fragrant. Let it cool and give it a nice wash.
- In a pressure cooker, add four cups of water, salt and turmeric to the dal and boil till completely done. About 4 minutes after the first whistle. Let the steam escape on its own.
- While the dal is boiling grind together coconut, chillies, shallots and cumin seeds to a fine paste. Add a little water if needed.
- Using a whisk, lightly mash the dal. Add the coconut paste to the mashed dal and return to heat. Boil for about 6-8 minutes till the coconut is fully cooked.
- In a small pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. Saute till they crackle, add the broken red chillies and saute for another two minutes. Add the curry leaves and turn off the heat. Pour this over the cooked dal and serve with hot steaming rice and a dollop of ghee.