Nimona : Banarsi Style Mashed Green Peas Curry
Last week, I was in one of my I am bored of everything moods. I get these attacks once in a while where the usual chicken, fish, dal and sabji's just don't cut the mark for me. I want something different. Something that is not made in my kitchen regularly and considering it is winter (relatively speaking anyways) and there are fresh green peas available. I decided to make Nimona, I had read about Nimona here long time ago, made it once but forgotten about it later. So that day it came back to my memory suddenly. My mother in law who was eating it the first time, loved it and so did everyone else who it.
I think it's the simplicity of the dish that's its beauty too. Make it and I promise you will be licking your fingers.
Recipe - Nimona , Banarsi Style Mashed Green Peas Curry.
Source - Adapted from Banaras Ka Khaana
- Grind ginger, green chillies and peas coarsely using as little water as possible. I like to keep a handful of peas ungrinded to add the texture.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan, add hing and fry for 30 secs.
- Add the jeera seeds and fry till golden brown. Add bay leaf and fry for another 30 secs.
- Now add the ground peas and dry spices and roast for 5 mins on low flame.
- Add the warm water and let it boil for 3-4 minutes and its done.
- Serve with hot roti's, it also tasted yumm with rice.