Muffin Monday | Crusty Cheese and Onion muffins
I love muffins and I love savory muffins even more :D There is something about them which is so warm and comforting. So when this week A sent a mail mentioning that we are baking Crusty Cheese and Onion muffins I knew I had to bake them along and I am glad I did these were loved by anyone in the house and made for an excellent Sunday breakfast. I did make a couple of changes though... made the savory more healthy by using whole wheat plus I didn't have chive so I used fresh parsley instead.
It was amazing how light the texture of muffins was inspite of the fact that mine had more whole wheat in them than atta. If you like savory muffins trust me this one is a must try.
Recipe - Crusty Cheese and Onion Muffins.
Servings - about 6 jumbo muffins.
- Place the all purpose flour in a small bowl and rub in the butter, mix in just enough water to bind ingredients. Press dough into a ball, cover, freeze about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 200C . Grease a 6 hole (3/4 cup deep) muffin tray.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan, add onion, cook, stirring, until soft and lightly brown. Set aside to cool.
- Sift self raising and extra flour into a large bowl, stir in half the onion, half the cheese and all of the chives, then egg, buttermilk and extra oil.
- Spoon Mixture into prepared tray. Grate frozen dough into a small bowl, quickly mix in remaining onion and cheese. Sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake muffins for about 25 minutes. Serve warm with chive butter ( I served them with garlic butter, my latest craze... its strange how I have come from a garlic hater to a garlic lover :P)