Methi-Makki di roti
By now everyone who reads this blog knows how much I miss Delhi winters and if u read my list of things that I miss Sarsoon ka saag and makki ki roti is out at the top somewhere. Every year in winters (I know there are no winters in Bangalore, I meant Dec-Jan ok) I try and recreate their magic at home.. Sometimes I get fresh sarsoon and I am in seventh heaven and sometimes I dont… this year was the one where I didn’t. Anyone who can help me find fresh sarsoon in Bangalore will be treated with it cooked by me promise… Anyways even if I didn’t get sarsoon I thought there is nothing that stops me from making makki di roti and than I got fresh organic and home ground makki ka atta from the farm of the friend where we did camping for new years eve.
- Mix all the ingredients together and add warm water little by little to make a soft dough, dont overknead the doguh if u do that the rotis will not be nice and soft (note this dough can’t be kept after making, so make it just before u start making)
- Now the thing with makki ki roti is the difficulty to roll it, u can’t easily roll it out so here is what I do
- Cut a zip pouch or any other polythene cover from all sides apart from one, place the dough ball in the middle and than roll it out. Don’t roll it out very thin. Its slightly thicker than the normal chapathi
- Cook on a hot tava on both sides with 1tsp of oil
- Enjoy hot as we didnt get sarsoon we had it with the next best thing,dal makhani and aalo roast