For the garnish
- Wash the Mango. Slice the mango, I like to retain the peel if you junk it if you like.
- Pressure cook it for 10 minutes with 1 cup of water.
- Squeeze the pulp out of the cooked mangoes and discard the seed and the peel if you used it.
- Strain it through a large holed sieve to remove the bigger fibrous bits.
- In a sauce pan add the ghee and when it slightly hot add mustard ,cumin and asafoetida. Fry for two minutes and add the garlic. Fry till it turns slightly brown.
- Add curry leaves, dry red chilli and fry for another two minutes. Add the black pepper powder, turmeric and chilli powder along with the mango pulp.
- Add one more cup of water if the rasam feels too thick, lemon juice, rasam powder and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice or drink it as a soup.