Mango Lemon Bars
I absolutely love lemon bars, the tanginess of the lemon cutting down the sweetness and the richness ofeggs and butter but at home both O and N find it very tart and then last season I discovered the "Mango Lemon Bars", the sweeter cousin of lemon bars if you like mangoes this one will surely win your heart. Super sweet mango purée blended with a little lemon that brings just enough acidity tobalance the sweetness, there are just about perfect bars one will eat. I put them on sale on Sin-A-Mon two years ago and for two complete seasons, they have been the best sellers. We have been making a batch almost everyday in the peak mango season, infact one batch is in the oven as I type this. With a buttery crust and a perfect balance between the sweetness of the mango and the acidity of the lime these are delight in every bite.
Source : Adapted from Baking Bites
Makes : Around 20 bars.
For the crust
For the filling
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the butter on medium heat constantly swirling till it turns brown. Cool this butter and chill till becomes solid again. About 30 mins in the freezer does the trick.
- Cut the butter in about 8-10 squares.Rub the butter using your fingers in the flour plus sugar salt mixture till it resembles bread crumbs. Alternatively you can also make this usingfood processor. Whizz together the flour, sugar and salt. Then add in butter and pulse until butter is completely incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture in a greased pan layered with a parchment paper andpress firmly to form an even layer. Bake for about 15 minutes at 180C. We need the edges set and slightly browned.
- While the crust is baking, put together the filling togetherbywhisking sugar and flour and then Beat in the eggs, followed by the mango puree and lemon juice. Mix everything till just incorporated.
- Pour this over the hotbaked base, reduce the temperature to 160C and return pan to oven. Bake for 22-24 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Cool completely before slicing (leaving it in the fridge for an hour helps) and use a damp knife to getclean slices.
- Serve chilled.