A delicious fish curry in a tomato and tamarind gravy which tastes so delicious that you just can’t resist it! Yummy is the word for this one!
Someone once told me that you can call yourself a good cook if you can get a fish curry right! And last week I did 🙂 That was my first attempt at making a fish curry. I usually make fish fry or grilled fish at home. This turned out yummy. I was so happy.
A fish curry is often slightly tricky to make. To get the right taste in the gravy and getting the fish cooked right. But I did this well! Everyone in the house loved it and I must confess, so did I! I loved eating this with some hot rice and a dollop of ghee! A papad to accompany makes this fish curry meal just perfect 🙂
I am pretty chuffed with the fact that everyone in the house loves fish. Eat fish regularly for its super health benefits. We all have read about how fish are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin D and vitamin B2. Fish is also known to be rich in calcium and minerals. Consuming fish at least once a week is beneficial to health.
And fish is great in any form you cook it. Grill it or coat it with some herbs and grill it. Pan roast fish with some chilli garlic sauce or make this delicious fish DoPyaza out of them! Or make some delicious maacher jhol out of it! Have fish in any form, but definitely incoporate it in your diet for your health and of course the awesome taste 🙂
So here is the recipe to my fish curry. I found it on the net and then modified it a little to suit our taste buds.
I am a good cook -- and here's a Fish Curry to prove it!
- 1/2 kg fish cut into slices (I used rohu)
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsps cumin seeds
- 10 chillies red (dry)
- 2 tsps seeds paanch phoran
- 10 - 12 curry leaves
- 1 onion large (ground to paste)
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tomatoes large (cut to cubes)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup tamarind water (handful tamarind soaked in hot water)
- 2 cups water hot
- to taste salt
- coriander Chopped (to garnish)
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan on a medium flame and roast the dry red chillies, mustard and cumin seeds. Cool and grind along with tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy-bottomed pan and add the curry leaves. When they stop spluttering, add the onion paste and fry till light brown.
- Add the ginger and fry for a minute.
- Add the tomato and spice paste and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and the tamarind pulp to this masala and stir to mix well.
- Bring the gravy to a boil and then simmer till u get desired consistency. N likes thick gravy in fish dishes, so I boiled it for about 7 minutes or so.
- Gently add the fish to this gravy and cook till done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with plain boiled rice.
wow!! i have no clue how to cook non-veg khaana!!! now i know whose ghar i can visit tho! :plove the new look! and an award for ya!
LOVE the new header!!!! This blog looks gorgeous now, literally vibrant, lively … and came here to get your URL, my next post has something for you!!!
I can’t cook at all. But whatever u did sounds yummy 🙂
@mama – mia,anytime… just call and drop in but only on the weekends i barely manage to make dal roti in the weekdays and thanks a lot for thw award will put it up here soon
@ihm,thanks… and post it soon me waiting 🙂
sounds yum!!!!!!!!!I’ve never made fish…may be I can start with this recipe!
@chandni,ya do try it… its a pretty simple rec which turns out very well
Not so much of my type of post to comment…not that i don’t like cooking and stuff-i do like but i cook very very few dishes and that too which go with my own tastes… fish curry isnt mine thing to do …:)i will go for something italian or chinese….. hehehehttp://muddleheadedsblog.blogspot.com/
cant say anything, I am a pure vegetarian:)
yeah i willl… enjoy… once i get ym teeth to it…. ! lets see!!!!
TOo bad you live in B’lore.Sounds yummy….
@afaque,i have something italian in my list of rec to be posted may be u can try that one 🙂
@renu,:( actually why dont u modify this curry and put some veggie instead of fish… the curry was yummy i will try my hands today
Hi there!landed here randomly n liked this simple recipe.. 🙂 hv also added u in my blog list.. awaiting the Italian one now.. Hope u don’t mind.
@mindspace,welcome to my space and the pleasure is mine