I love arbi but used to stay away from it because.
1\. its full of carbs.
2\. its good when its made with lots of oil :(
3\. I cant just peeled it without having to itch my hands for the whole day afterwards.
But all this atleast the last 2 parts were till sometime back when I discovered that we can grill this vegetable beautifully.... I used to boil it and then grill but then I read at some blog about steaming and grilling which seemed like an even healthier option.
So now I have a much healthier version of arbi which satisfies health freak as well as the taste buds.... Iya the fellow arbi fan and Goofy as u had asked for it... this post is for both of u.... enjoy the arbi.
- Wash and roughly scrub the arbi (I have kept a scrotch brite seperately in the house for scrubbing potatoes and arbi etc)
- Steam for about 6-8 minutes till a tender. I have this microwave steamer at home which is so handy and convienent to steam stuff, its my all time fav cookware. U can use any steaming method u like.
- Let it cool and peel of the thick skin using a knife (surprinsgly doesnt itch so much after steaming)
- Chop the bigger ones into 2 pieces and leave the smaller ones as it is.
- Mix all the dry masalas,onions with arbi.
- Grease a tray and put the masalsa arbi in it.
- Grill at 200C for about 10 minutes or so, stirring once inbetween.
- In a small pan take 1 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds and fry till they start spluttering.
- Pour over grilled arbi and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped corainder leaves and serve with hot paranthas or phulkas.