Gajar Ka Halwa
I had to start this post with that pic... I know I am a little late and summer is almost here but I somehow absolutely forgot about it but guys you are still getting those red carrots... make it one last time before they vanish from the market... I surely will and then how can I not have something sweet for holi :)
Gajar Ka Halwa (and I refuse to call it carrot halwa it just sounds something different also I am reminded of the carrot halwa that u get here made out of those orange carrots and that is just not my cup of tea :) ) is one of my all time favorite desserts. I remember how we would start waiting for red (those orange carrots were not available in delhi in those days.. carrot used to be only red and available only in winters) carrots to come right from October so that we get to eat halwa :D :D :D and that patterns continues still
Hope you too enjoy the recpie
- Shred the carrots (take care to not make them too fine they become too soggy if u do that)
- Put the carrots and cold milk together on the stove in a big kadai (putting it together and the milk being cold is very important else there is a tendency for the milk to curdle)
- Simmer stirring often and let it cook till the carrots are about half done.
- Add sugar and ghee to it... this point of time carrots will leave a lot of water, let it dry. By the time water dries the carrot will be almost cooked.
- Let it simmer for another 10 mins or so.
- Add the khoya and dry fruits to it and roast for about 10 mins on low heat.
- Serve hot.
Note: If u dont have khoya available which is usually the case in Bangalore u this recpie to quickly make it. Its microwave recpie for palkhoa, just be careful to reduce the sugar u add later.
My mouth is watering seeing the picture and I so want to make it again... Also I was thinking of making gujiya for this holi I have never made them before so if any of you have a fool proof recipe or tips please to send :)
On the other hand gosh will u all mommy bloggers specially the ones in US tell me how the hell do you manage the house, cooking, kid and a blog single handedly??? I have just been doing it since 2 days and I think I am dead, the brat is sleeping right now so I squeezed some time to write a post, I still haven't opened the reader and replied to the comments.... and here atleast I have a housekeeping maid who comes and go.. I bow to u all :) apart from the work load we three are really enjoying this phase... this is the first time ever we have had as a family alone.... mil lives with us and the sometimes that she has gone visiting to sil's house the maid has been there... It suddenly feels so nice to have the whole house to ourselves... (Disclaimer : My mil is nice I am not saying anything against her ;-) its just that the feeling of three as a family is very nice..)
and holi is here too... so here is wishing all u guys a very happy holi... keep the spirit of the festival and play sensibly... drink a lot of bhang ;-) Happy Holi
PS: the above pic is taken somewhere on the highway during our Delhi-Bangalore Drive