Everyones Favourite : Doughnuts
Atleast in my house... Yeah I am talking about doughnuts :D.
I had learned making them in the baking course but never made them post that, in october when daring bakers were making it I so wanted to make mine too but was just too busy with many things... so when Ojas came and told me he wants doughnuts for this party I was like why not :D So I made a small quantity a week before the party as a trail and it was yummy... soft and fluffy as its supposed to be... everyone in the the house loved them.
For topping syrup
- Warm the milk just enough to a level where you can melt the butter in it, add the butter to the milk and whisk a little to melt
- Add the saffron strands and cardamom powder to it and let it stand for sometime
- In a separate bowl, add the sugar and yeast and pour the warm water on it. Let it stand for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Add the activated yeast mixture, the milk mixture and the beaten egg to the bowl of your mixer and mixture at medium speed for 1 minutes using the paddle or the creaming blade
- Add flour in two batches running the mixer at low speed when u add the flour and making it to medium speed for 1 minute after that
- Change the blade to the kneading blade and knead on medium speed till u have a smooth dough, Please dont over knead the dough.
- Alternative you can knead the dough with your hands too, knead just enough to form a nice smooth dough I think it would take about 7-10 minutes.
- Make a ball of the dough and keep in a large greased bowl for raising.
- Leave it for about an hour or till it has doubled in size (mine took about 45 minutes)
- Roll into a thickness of about 3/4 inch and cut using doughnut cutters or two concentric round cookie cutters.
- Leave for proofing in a dark place till they double in size and bounce back when u touch them. Mine took about 1.5 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry for about 30secs - 1 min on each side.
- For the topping whisk together all ingredients till just about mixed. Dip your doughnut in the liquid on one side and sprinkle one of the above toppings or any topping of your choice or eat it just like that.
This recipe is something that I have made up by combining the best of both the daring bakers recipe and the recipe I got from my institute the doughnuts came out really really soft. And I loved the addition of cardamom and saffron that I picked up from Meeta's version
However a word of caution if u want to store it for a day or two store it in an airtight container without the glaze. I made it again for the party one day in advance and forgot to put in an air container and they had lost some of the softness.
And my doughnuts are off to a very cute event Dishes Starting with the name D
And also to Yeastspottin