Bread Kofta Biryani and more
I love biryanis and I often claim that veg biryani is a term meant to make vegetarians happy and there is no such thing like that, its just a modified form of pulao but then once in a while a recipe like this comes and proves me wrong ;-)
When I first saw this sometime ago in Tarala Dala's book it excited me because I love both koftas and biryanis and a combination of that excellent isnt it ;-)
As usual I tweaked the recipe a little to suit what I want and here is how I made it.
For the bread koftas
For the rice
For the gravy
To be mixed together for curd mixture
- For the bread koftas
- Combine all the ingredients except oil with some water and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into 15-20 even sized rounds.
- Now u can deep fry the koftas or bake them at 180C for about 15 mins or till brown or fry them with a drop of oil in my fav paniyaram pan :D.
- For the rice.
- Clean, wash and soak rice for approx 15 mins.
- Boil 2 cups of water, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and salt and then add the rice.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook till the rice is done.
- Seperate each grain of rice with a fork. Keep aside.
- For the gravy.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the cloves and cinnamon.
- Add the onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add all the dry masalas and saute for 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes till oil seperates.
- Add the curds, mix well and simmer for further 5 minutes.
- Add all the veggies and mix well. Keep aside.
- For the final assembly.
- Spoon out the gravy at the bottom of a baking dish.
- Top with bread koftas and cover with cooked rice.
- Top with curds mixture.
- Cover with a lid or aluminium foil and bake in a pre heated over at 200C for 15-20 mins. Serve hot.
The changes I made to the recipe were basically that I added some veggies and soya flour to the koftas and lots of veggies to the gravy... makes it more healthier... and yes didnt deep fry the koftas as suggested and also used much less than what was suggested by the recipe.
What I absolutely loved about this recipe was the fact that this is a true one pot meal not even curd needs to be served along as the top layer is just that.
Wanna have a bite with all the layers?
Apart from this so nice of u guys this time to ask where have I been missing since a week... life has been very busy, in the baking class, coming home and practising... It was also N's birthday last week and we planned a party for him and another friend who had her birthday last saturday and did lots of rain dance ;-) and I baked two cakes for the same... they were yumm and were totally polished off :D :D.
Both the cakes were yummy and were polished off by a gang of 10 people.
What fun that party was and then for the day his actual birthday falls on I planned a surprise family dinner for him with his sister, cousin a few close friends... the higlight of that party was the cake too but this I didnt bake it... I ordered it and u have to see it to understand what I mean.
with a family collage
Apart from that I have been very busy in one more thing and that is the fashion show that I took part in... About a month or so back a friend called me saying her friend who is a final year student in JD Institute of Tech is doing a collection for plus size women and will I be interested in walking the ramp for her.... I didn't think of it much and said yes why not... a sweetheart of a girl came and took my measurements of the dress, showed me a couple of designs and I choose one and then all was forgotten about it till a week or so back when she called saying that we have to come for rehearsals and Rahul Dev Shetty is the one who is choreographing it and there are the likes of Jacky Shetty and Pashmina Barker along with a whole of lot of other models walking for the other segments that I started getting shivers.... ;-) The last time I had walked the ramp was when I was 15 yrs younger and 1/4 the current size.
But Rahul and others did everything to make us all (the plus size models who were all regular women) comfortable and confident and we did walk the ramp after all... It was so much fun... I totally enjoyed myself.
And these are the details for all of those have been asking after seeing the pic on FB, I hope I didnt disappoint those who were asking the designer name ;-)
So how has life been with u?