I love broccoli (infact I love all winter veggies) and some time back, I went o Russell market with a goof friend D :) and picked up a real nice one.. fresh and green... crisp and tender. And then began the quest to what to make with it. I normally make broccoli in stir fry veggies or baked but this time I want to try something totally different and hence started browsing the many many cooking books that I own (did I tell you thats my latest obsession BTW) and I decided on a nice looking Achari Broccoli recipe in Nita Mehta's Diet Recipes.
And it turned out very very very yummy..
For the Achaari Tempering
- Boil 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 tsp of salt. Add Broccoli and cook for about 2-3 minutes till crisp tender. Remove from water and keep aside (my tip : dont throw the water away lets use it, it has a lot of nutrients)
- Collect all the achari ingredients for tempering. Heat the oil in kadhai and add all of them together.
- After a minute, add the onions and cool till light brown.
- Add salt, turmeric, dhaniya powder & chilli powder.
- Stir for a few seconds and add the lauki to it.
- Stir fry for about 2 minutes and add 1/2 cup of water (my tip : use the same water in which u boiled the broccoli there will still be little left and you can use it for making dal, atta... yeah I am mad this way in saving the nutrients from the vegies.. I think a little something we can do to make sure we are getting good stuff in)
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes till the lauki is cooked but still holds its shape.
- Sprinkle dry mango powder.
- Add the broccoli and tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with phulkas and dal tadka... a yummy and a very healthy meal.
PS: I think it would turn out very good with our good old cauliflower too, so if u dont have broccoli handy try it with gobhi :)